[Bell Historians] Re: Stanton St John

Bickerton, Roderic K (SELEX) (UK) roderic.bickerton at FfbxvgpYACG8vTkXqnW7M6Zz1h5_L7jw_YcwErgFAVkUcZ8iPxuT0vums2bf973RQtxxwzQAkuLEDrfQ8cViULNnNGkJOi4.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 15 09:59:11 GMT 2007

So what is wrong with that? A 9/16" tie's will provide  more than 40 cwt
each or 1/2" about 35cwt.
If you have 6 that is over 200cwt preload. How much do you need to
preload a frame supporting a 6cwt 3? Shallow joints with draw bolts
produce a stronger frame than deep ones because much less is cut out of
the load bearers.
That is not to say I want to keep it, I just don't like rubbishing
Mallaby unless it is deserved.

Re Stanton S john, my web site is "up"
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rodbic/web%20extra%20pages/Stanton%20St%20J
ohn%20web.htm
Or
Go to Change ringing resources http://www.ringing.info/
At the end, 6 down in "Miscellaneous" click
"Future Changes to Rings (Rod Bickerton)"
Scroll down to Stanton St John and click the "Stanton" link

"Thankfully, we didn't have to have them involved, but had
they been, we would have challenged them if they had suggested
keeping the 1880 frame- Its just rubbish really, shallow joints,
small diameter tie rods, though the timbers are far larger than on
most Mallaby jobs with heavier bells.

Alan"