[Bell Historians] Re: Stanton St John

Alan Birney alanjbirney at vZPCDqGvHI1uuqjth1a_3_mqsIm-npfPMS5FTc1BieTlMOhtVVGc79ZBJNbofeV4w4bC_zuUaeW_n_93uWV2qCSb.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 15 08:47:26 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "davidhird_uk"
<davidhird_uk at ...> wrote:

> --- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Alan Birney"
> <alanjbirney@> wrote:
> >

> >         I think the term "expert" is not quite right. I think
most
> > on here will know of or encountered DAC Advisors who are
> > not "experts".
> >          it was my understanding that a DAC Advisor should give
> > sensible, unbiased reccomendations about work that may be
needed,
> > and if a particular scheme gives value for money, etc.
> >
> >         I can't quite see how we have "expert" Advisors, unless
> they
> > have previousley had a long time in employment with a Churchbell
> > hanging company or a long mechanical engineering experiance.
> >
> >       If I use an example, someone who is a "proffesional"
Gardner
> > who rings bells and has no mechanical background- if they are
> > appointed as a DAC Advisor, how can they be an expert?   They
> might
> > replace the odd rope or broken stay and they might have some
> common
> > sense, but does that make them an expert?
>
> A similar situation exists with EH. A report I received from them
> started off by saying 'On such and such a date, our expert on bell
> frames, Mr ..... ......., visited....'.
>
> I was completely baffled as to what made this person an expert
since
> he had essentially just come out of the blue with no bell hanging
> experience that I or anyone else knew of. His advice made little
> sense at the time.
>
> David

       Thankfully, we didn't have to have them involved, but had
they been, we would have challenged them if they had suggested
keeping the 1880 frame- Its just rubbish really, shallow joints,
small diameter tie rods, though the timbers are far larger than on
most Mallaby jobs with heavier bells.

Alan