Fw: [Bell Historians] Eastry 3rd

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at syg4iTk-ldDnL3xiaGWsM0RNgJqH-t3OGEpQ2lB8wvSDXc8pmuG_OaF5K1cvdV35vA-_xDTnum8GFLZEd5g.yahoo.invalid
Sun Mar 25 16:42:32 BST 2007

If Matthews's figures are correct, then Eastry third is indeed a modern
"old-style" bell. The prime is exactly an octave below the nominal, but the
hum is 131 cents sharp.

The 1902 Taylor treble is true-harmonic, but the other three bells all have
the unusual property of sharp primes as well as sharp hums, so I would guess
that they're a strange-sounding lot. It looks to me as if the tenor is flat
compared with the others; it would be best if it had a nominal of 644 Hz -
66 cents sharper - which would give the correct interval with the treble,
and make 2nd, 3rd, 4th 11 cents sharp, 10 cents sharp, and 7 cents flat
respectively.

The old third and the ex-Hawkhurst bell look to be conventional old-style
bells.

Andrew Bull

  _____