Arising from Eastry Sanctus and 3rds (both of them)

David Cawley dave at Vsn3061YK0qACawm3zGsOk1ETxQOLbfKCBdXff26Tm8_QVh5Eeyo5f_40fKPTzHMR_dJqzlyP_ULMk1-8jCSnftk3Q.yahoo.invalid
Fri Mar 23 00:11:27 GMT 2007

For members of the list, as you will see it is not as some think a question of Richard and I trying to outshine the other and yes, I do have the advantage of having retained both my files and my memory (largely). Just as Richard's files contain copies of many of my own papers, so mine contain a good number of his from after the time I was mad enough to leave Kent.
In the case of the Eastry saga it seems to have been going on for a very long time. After all, JT recast the treble in 1902, Alfred Bowell rehung the tenor in 1909 and 2, 3 and 4 in 1913, then JT put them on ball bearings in 1967. This was never seen as a very satisfactory job and I "inherited" it when I became the DAC Bells Adviser in 1968 - and I am afraid I passed it on unsolved to my successors. They had the saga of the third [including consultation with me - any excuse to go to Canterbury]; anything else they passed on to Richard - which he passed on to the late, great Nick Davies - and it seems that the saga of the frame etc., which has certainly been going on seriously for over ten years is about to be solved in the time of Brian Butcher!  I shall keep my fingers crossed for them, and I guess Richard will as well!

DLC