[Bell Historians] Portsmouth Guildhall Clock Chime

Andrew Case a.case at -vPMS4pbrbUSdMNlgi7IvRgLi7rrh0oQegk8a8zSe6olJKjM_zHLxC1ZaVBhtephWeY8hidYuxk.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 28 21:13:37 BST 2007

David Cawley wrote
> The five bells (which are, in fact, of impressive tone themselves)
>were virtually the only fittings to pass through the burning
>(virtually) unscathed.
>The clock hammers are in bad order which probably accounts for the
>uncertain sounds proceeding from the tower.
>
>I know that Taylors Eayre & Smith have recently updated the JT
>quotation of seven years ago, and I am told that The Whitechapel
>Foundry have likewise quoted.
>
>Let's hope that the newspaper campaign is successful and that the
>Tories get in and keep their promise about the bells!
>
>And that the heritage of Portsmouth is safesguarded and conserved in use.

The Councillors saw sense at a meeting yesterday evening. This from the
Council's website:

City councillors this evening voted 19-15 in favour of a £480,000 scheme
replace the bell support structure, and refurbish and re-instate the
bells.

In recent days, digital recordings of The Chimes have been played from
the rooftop of the Civic Offices - directly opposite the Guildhall in
the city centre.

Apart from a handful of special occasions, the original bells have not
sounded for several years because of major safety concerns to the clock
tower.

The council is to consider stopping the Chimes from ringing after a
certain time in the evenings - because the digital recordings have led
to noise complaints from people who live close to the Guildhall Square.

--
Andrew Case