[Bell Historians] Fwd: Comments on IXfoundryWarner

David Cawley dave at G6joP9rpGHHMLdPM51BJH0TzkkgNlPsvqpJWDf-uqRKCeW6YoVxZB5s7dfjSRDi10txc7kWTOia9xgNRz__nW3d2hEs.yahoo.invalid
Fri May 4 19:45:39 BST 2007

Oh yes, I remember this. It was opposite St John's Church Tunbridge Wells, the only tower of the day that wouldn't let us up to see their bell ( 'elf 'n' safety' or some such thing). There were two bells, the small, rather poor one, by Warner and a larger one, with angular canons, by Taylors, about 1890 I think.

For the other towers of that day, including the one where my glasses fell off thirty feet up, onto a stone floor, and the lenses didn't break, see Dickon's excellent site.

DLC
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dickon Love
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 2:39 PM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Fwd: Comments on IXfoundryWarner

  > >I wonder if you can help me to find records of a bell founded in
  > >1904 by J Warner & Sons London. It is currently for sale in a shop
  > >in Tunbridge Wells and is claimed to be from a school in Hawkhurst
  > >Kent. It is this that I would like confirmed, at least as a
  > >possibility. If there are any records that you think may exist I
  > >would be very grateful to know where I might find them.

  I rather think that Fr David, Quiche and I saw this bell last year in that shop. I am not surprised that he hasn't sold it yet - he wanted about 3 times the scrap value for it and was most put out when we laughed rather loudly at the price. At that time the owner couldn't remember where it came from.

  DrL