[Bell Historians] James Duff

David Cawley dave at 2Bja2jwXZ6ZtdrTGcPZRLisYvUXMn01RHcBcI7CfC92yf8osbGJI5ZFTOcV-SBkDfXu6d5wGezZKoYRDWJk9ISQmyI8.yahoo.invalid
Fri May 11 19:52:13 BST 2007

James Duff & Sons' foundry ewas at Greenock, according to  The Church Bells
of Renfrewshire and Dunbartonshire (R W M Clouston, Trans Soc. Ant. Scot,
vol LXXXII, p.153.) He states that their first bell in Renfrewshire is in
the old church at Port-Glasgow, dated 1839, 27 1/2" diameter ("the shape is
almost like a flower-pot ... used in England in the thirteenth century butr
soon became obsolete as the sound given out ... was far from satisfactory.")
and that most of the bells in Greenock and Port-Glasgow were cast or recast
by this firm. A quick trawl through the book gives
Greenock, West Kirk 2/2, 1873, 48" diameter
Greenock, Middle Kirk, 1/1, 1891, 39" diameter
Greenock, Well Park Church, 1867, 45" diameter
Paisley, High Kirk, 1/1, 1872, 49" diameter
Port-Glasgow, as above
Port-Glasgow, Town Hall, 1/1, 1879, 44" diameter

All  have JAMES DUFF AND SONS, MAKERS GREENOCK plus the date and in some
cases the place for which they were cast. All have Duff's metal fittings,
the Paisley High Kirk with a wheel and balanced headstock, and the
Port-Glasgow Town Hall is stated to be hung for ringing.
There are a number of little-known Scots founders in this part of the world,
along with the better-known Wilson of Glasgow etc.
DLC