[Bell Historians] Re: Conservationists

Richard Offen richard.offen at eRqY74tmlIpMc7AKpAkTABJ1rYgBlq2P81W0_9yOIUIMptTnX8xoAH98CZlAuZXtPE59T0P-fSPj2-6Q9bwgWg6wjoU.yahoo.invalid
Mon May 21 12:51:35 BST 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, David Bryant <davidbryant at ...>
wrote:

> "At least with a "re-cast" ring of bells there are no illusions
about it being anything other than a brand new instrument."

> But I think there are, though. How many time do you come across
statements in church guides along the lines of 'the oldest bell dates
from 16??, with others of 17?? and 18??. The bells were all recast in
19?? by John Taylor & Co?

> David

Absolutely right.

I am slowly getting rid of the statement about Swan Bells that says
the bells date back to Elizabethan times, but it's a long and painful
process!