Wandering carillon

khsbelring at WqRLPBPla3-8Ug7ZNaxSRiapZdiR9sdKR_5BK9Ujjyxga4P4qRhr5I05D38zSVrve7Cv5bFt_oYiZA.yahoo.invalid khsbelring at WqRLPBPla3-8Ug7ZNaxSRiapZdiR9sdKR_5BK9Ujjyxga4P4qRhr5I05D38zSVrve7Cv5bFt_oYiZA.yahoo.invalid
Sat Nov 10 19:24:11 GMT 2007

Interestingly Newcastle upon Tyne had a 49 bell carillon that was installed
for the 1929 North East Coast Exhibition.

Unfortunately this instrument was never destined to stay on Tyneside as it
was destined to be the War memorial that is installed on Mount Cook ( smaller
version of N.Zs. big one on the South Island ) in the City of Wellington at
the  bottom end of the North Island of New Zealand.

As far as is known the carillon had it's first recital at the  Gillett
foundry in April of 1929.

By May of 1929 the bells were sounding out across the Town Moor at  Newcastle
where they remained for about 6 months.

After this the wandering carillon was set up in Hyde Park,  London where it
remained until October of 1930.

The bells arrived in New Zealand January 1931. This was after an abortive
attempt to get them displayed at the Buenos Aires Exhibition, so they nearly had
 four homes.

The bells were finally dedicated in April 1932. It had always been the
intention to add four tenors and this was achieved by 1995 along with a number  of
smaller bells and replacements of some of the middle bells giving a total
altogether of 74 bells.

With thanks to Alan Buswell - Howard E. J. Smith