[Bell Historians] Half-pull Ringing

Edward W Martin edwardwmartin at plJbp2p7M9cjDtvOIalg-O-5KnVN3JysoGmPqiXizcAXJKe5YUKUmvPdgNuXhKbkXtzeB8Wq6GOWJ7wcdt-5.yahoo.invalid
Fri Nov 16 13:22:38 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Richard Offen"
<richard.offen at ...> wrote:

> Why do we need to theorise when the history of the development of
> change ringing is so very well told by John Eisel and the late Bill
> Cook in Volume 1 of "Change Ringing History: The History of an
English
> Art" (CCBR Publication)?

What a pity that some of the putative historians who set out a potted
history on Guild & Association Websites, don't bother to read this
book but prefer to spin their own fiction. Perhaps I shouldn't quote
which particular guild I have in mind, but it is delivered with such
authority (but no refs) that it has noticeably influenced others way
of thinking and presents a demonstrably false tale; in an attempt to
make some effort to try to get rid of the nonsense that is being
promoted, I am thinking of putting together an article for the RW
which would be in form a precis of this book. But if the likes of
Cyril Wratten, Bill Cook and John Eisel have failed then what hope?

mew