[Bell Historians] Half-pull Ringing

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at v9EeSyUthFbZ2pjkSxjRB6R6LNCoTbcfRZ8xqrO46zuaBajg-0vBpyn43vsu6tBkKnziDy-ROQ9-8YRy1iSE.yahoo.invalid
Sun Nov 18 18:28:19 GMT 2007

Whilst not wishing to get involved in the matters already expressed I
am surprised that nobody seems to have communicated their experience of
whole pull changes. In the early 1960s I came across it at Prescot in
Lancashire - I was aged about fourteen at the time. The Prescot ringers
were short of ringers for a wedding and I went along on my bicycle from
St. Helens. I that think Graham Austin from Huyton was there too.(The
picture of Michael Uphill in RW on his bicycle would indicate that his
family must have been posh. His bicycle had shiny, clean chrome AND
road lights!!) I plain hunted the treble and the change was made at
every handstroke. I  understood that when they had enough 'competent'
ringers this whole pull arrangement could be extended to Grandsire
Triples. I didn't go to Prescot again because after the wedding ringing
those of school age got ten shillings whilst the others got one guinea.
My protestations about my pay were unsuccessful. I believe that this
whole pull ringing was favoured because it enhanced 'ropesight'.