St Paul's and Chelsea

davidhird_uk davidhird_uk at Koad25SO3Yx1Sb89gRedr9LKIbgH582vrje55iXR4XhDtag3rmSH4Arrtoa32SIgXNlxrIcXM1AZJb3czMhY.yahoo.invalid
Mon Oct 1 09:05:21 BST 2007

So what do you actually want to do at St Lukes?

Sounds like it is a case for hanging the current bells for chiming
high in the tower to satisfy the conservationists and hanging a new
10 lower down the tower. Wish they had done that at Durham.

Are the bells actually too heavy or are they just hung too high up
in a frame which doesnt resolve the forces as well as it could?

David

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, <alantaylor at ...> wrote:

> I am extremely glad that they are the only complete pre-tune
harmonic 12 to
> survive. I am also thankful that they are unique.
>

>  If you think they should be listed and preserved, I would suggest
that they
> be put on display in the church yard. Then hang a musical peal of
bells in
> the tower. Just imagine a sound such as the bells of York Minster
sounding
> from the tower. I can't imagine that the St Paul's ringers would
mind. As
> long as the tenor is heavy they would be happy.
>

> We have the same problem with the bells of St Luke's Chelsea. They
sound
> dreadful; they are too heavy for the tower and therefore go badly.
But we
> are told they should be preserved as they are historically
interesting as a
> Thomas Mears 2nd peal of ten. I wonder why Thomas Mears 2nd bells
are
> getting rare. Although the last report from The Council for the
Care of