The Redundant Bells of St Nicholas, Cork - Ringing World Article.

billy_clarke03 billy_clarke03 at dmTcGXtejtUd4pXjbAlN7F2cS6H38CfZO50JW-X36T430K5_q79yWda65hH4azd9YS2uC0rQkoxZGEoTREVrdd_drC4.yahoo.invalid
Mon Oct 1 06:22:16 BST 2007

May I ask if there was any representation made by the IACR to try
and retain these bells as a complete 8?

Billy Clarke

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, matthewhigby at ... wrote:

> Martin has asked me if I  will forward this to this list. Matthew.
>
> The Redundant Bells of St Nicholas,  Cork.
> It was towards the end of May that I brought to  the attention of
the ringing
> fraternity the plight of the above mentioned bells,  a complete
eight by J
> Murphy of Dublin, which the historians and members of the  bell
hanging trade
> will realise are quite rare.
> This morning we witnessed the back four of  these bells being
loaded onto a
> lorry for their final journey to Taylor’s, Eayre  and Smith,
where they are
> likely to meet with a sledgehammer on or very shortly  after their
arrival there.

> Although Matthew Higby and Co. have, for the  time being at least,
retained
> the front four bells with a view to possibly  reusing them as the
back four of
> a light six,  or for augmentations of existing rings,  it is also
possible
> that these bells may, too, suffer the same fate as their  larger
counterparts.
> Four months have now passed since,  effectively, notice was given
regarding
> these bells, and not withstanding the  fact that several enquires
have been
> made regarding them, no genuine offers have  been forthcoming.
> I feel that Philip Earis may have had a point  when, at a Central
Council