[Bell Historians] Tolland, Somerset

Bickerton, Roderic (SELEX GALILEO, UK) roderic.bickerton at zEZe63J7Cg8_-LqsLRVQg7Wqz4MEUwAQ4dugHOiyhAKo81rVOe19I30DMVnMG6kbQjO78GMA_KIr1W-cKBUJJ09bxJWgeA.yahoo.invalid
Mon Apr 14 15:38:45 BST 2008

I visited last year.
It is an unusual decision.
It's a shortish well built tower, but there is space for a 2 level
frame.
The old frame is not historic and is seriously rotted in 2 corners.
The nearby ring at Brompton Ralph were restored  and augmented 4 to 6 in
the same benefits last year, and I believe a bell hanger lives in the
parish, so one would guess a joint band is planned.
It would be feasible to put a ring, 6 or 8 in based on  the old 3, but
probably not affordable.
Anyone who visited the roadshow last year cannot have failed to notice
the improvement in small bell tuning, so they may well be very nice, and
absolutely ideal for teaching.
Would this be an improvement from an unringable 3?

"I notice in this week's Ringing World that there is a plan to replace
the unringable 3 at Tolland with a 2 cwt 8. Why is it proposed to
create such a light 8 in a small village with no history of ringing
instead of, for example, creating a heavier 6 using the current 2nd or
treble as the tenor? "

I don't know but I am somewhat concerned about the future of the
existing 2nd bell - it by Roger Savery, a brassfounder of Taunton, whose
bells are exceptionally rare.

David

SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems Limited
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14 3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132