[Bell Historians] St. Luke's, Marylebone

Robert Lewis editor at aFs6G_xaAQRkI23uy8Qo6ST-V9bWPPdAc-Yyset9RXSxW80zUkzmtOhzcWB0rd0CvnzHkglurX86xkNv11h-tLhgzA.yahoo.invalid
Mon Apr 14 16:08:57 BST 2008

At 20:38 11/04/2008, David Cawley wrote:
>ST LUKE, NUTFORD PLACE, ST MARYLEBONE
>
>They always went down in Dove as a chime, but were installed as a
>ring. There was a quarter peal rung there in the 1880's which was
>recorded in the Bell News. I do not have the details of that before me.
>
>Treble 26 1/4"  G  3 1/2 cwt John Warner & Sons 1855
>2nd     27 1/2"  F  3 3/4 cwt John Warner & Sons 1855
>3rd      29"       Eb 4 1/4 cwt John Warner & Sons 1855
>4th      30 1/2"  D  5       cwt John Warner & Sons 1855
>5th      32 1/4"  C  6       cwt John Warner & Sons 1854
>Tenor  34 1/2"  Bb 7 1/2 cwt John Warner & Sons 1855
>
>Apparentl;y they were still in the tower when it was blown up - the
>church having already gone, c.1965.

My interest was initially sparked by reading the portrait article on
"Mr. John Rogers of London (born at Woodstock, Oxon. 1835)" - Bells
News, October 1894, p.265;

"In May, 1856, at the close of the Crimean war, his father was
induced to accept charge of a peal of six bells recently erected at
St. Luke's, Nutford Place, Marylebone, and John, encouraged by his
parent made his first essay in bell-ringing and was soon seized with
a severe attack of bell mania. He rang his first peal on May 29th,
Peace Rejoicing Day, and was soon invading other London towers,
ringing his first peal before the end of the year on Putney bells."

I presume this means that his first peal was at St. Luke's.  The
article goes on to describe his very rapid progress in ten and twelve
bell ringing and rise to prominence in the Cumberlands, though he did
not abandon St. Luke's:

"He successfully exerted himself in company with other members, in
obtaining the important tower of St Martin in the Fields for the
headquarters of the Cumberlands; also that of St. Bride, Fleet
Street. About this time he was head of a young band at St. Luke's,
Marylebone, which included his brother Isaac (one of the best ringers
ever connected with the Cumberlands), the late W. Hoverd, the late
H.F. Driver and Mr. H Swain, followed some years after by Messrs.
Baron, Newson and numerous others; and the effect of this west-end
branch of the Royals was soon felt by the Cumberlands, and it can be
traced to the present day."

This suggests that St. Luke's, Nutford Place, was quite an active and
significant tower in its early years. I wonder what happened latterly?

RAL