[Bell Historians] Nominal or hum

Paul Marshall paul&jean at JSttrv26HF_E_1_5tNrkdPQjqodQerHBbyiCs2-CBb7-X6y6RTXBOsATuWbaDeuFMLPDGCCTl86d1UpTK8YFUo0d6CGK.yahoo.invalid
Tue Apr 15 17:44:09 BST 2008

I assume that a carillon has bells which are supposed to sound a continuous
scale from lowest note through to highest. If I'm not being too simplistic,
would it not be best to call each bell by the note it is supposed to
represent within that scale?

Paul Marshall

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Andrew Higson
Sent: 15 April 2008 08:43
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Nominal or hum

John Baldwin and I have been discussing the best way to display the details
of the new carillon bells at the Minster in the Dove entry.

One thing we are unsure about is how best to show the pitch of the smallest
bells, this being because their pitch is more determined by the hum than the
nominal. In fact the nominals of these small bells are very weak and almost
un-measurable.

In the Taylor records we show the hum for the smaller bells; would this
cause confusion or would it be better to put a hypothetical 4xhum note
value?

We would welcome your comments.

TIA

Andrew Higson

Taylors Eayre and Smith Ltd

The Bellfoundry

Freehold Street

Loughborough

LE11 1AR

Telephone: 01509 212241 Fax: 01509 263305 Registered in England No. 1352309