[Bell Historians] Weymouth Bell

David Bryant davidbryant at ssmki9ITdmSMnHSh3jw5ANzU-qIZk4D3RP8HPI9EkLEEVbtbXPlycyV9qr5s1c5ssjOxbljqoyHYhtgmcdc3IY-i.yahoo.invalid
Sun Apr 20 15:31:00 BST 2008

“I would be interested to here of anything that list members can add to
the details. I have found out about this bell.”

It’s by Richard Purdue I, cast in the same year as his masterpiece – the 36
cwt tenor at Queen Camel. The Weymouth bell is from the old town hall, and
is described on p.767 of Christopher Dalton’s Dorset Part III.

This style of inscription and the lozenge-shaped word stops are pretty much
universal on bells by Richard I, and by several other members of the Purdue
family. The tenor at West Buckland in Somerset, where I used to be tower
captain, is a typical example; the inscription appears to have been cut out
of a sheet of lead or thick parchment and applied to the model bell when the
mould was in preparation, and the letters are large and rather untidy.

Checked by AVG.
11:31

Checked by AVG.
11:31