[Bell Historians] Bell Hanger, Chepstow.

Alan Buswell aaj.buswell at Krm-979lKxNU8cnEcpckGWo490jva6HroWKYcKNRhD00LswFFkCwnHC_T5LkvfiVnXXidGiBB2jodINcQtqJ1-RTMFs.yahoo.invalid
Tue Apr 22 09:15:17 BST 2008

Yes. I have a Bill heading dated 1885 ~ '16 Silver Street, Wellingborough [Northants], Bought of John Rowlatt (late Buswell) Furnishing & Gereral Ironmonger, Bell-hanger, Gas-Fitter &c'. etc. Surprising what one can find when doing one's Family History!

Which brings me to Clipston, All Saints (5) in the same county. Does any one know the reason why the Treble bell by T Eayre was added in 1752 to the other three bells then in the tower? One of these is by William Bagley 1681 and another 1589. The Tenor, now No 5 by JT was added in 1869.
The reason why I ask is that the inscription reads 'John Buswell and Thomas Lawrence church wardens AD 1752 T Eayre Fecit.'  Was there any special happening at the time that caused this augmentation?

AAJB

----- Original Message -----
  From: Carl S Zimmerman
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Cc: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com ; John Paul Adams
  Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 4:19 PM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Bell Hanger, Chepstow.

  At 11:50 +0100 08/04/21, John Paul Adams wrote:
  >The history panel says that number 9 was occupied from 1851 until 1889 by
  >Richard Hawkesford, an "ironmonger, bell hanger and nailer." This is where
  >the pub gets its name from.
  _____

  At that period of American history, the term "bell hanger" was far
  more likely to refer to a person who installed household call bells -
  the kind where wires run within the walls of a big house, from bell
  pulls in the important rooms to a rack of spring-mounted small bells
  in the servant's quarters. Did such a usage of the term ever occur
  in England?