[Bell Historians] Bell Hanger, Chepstow.

Peter Trotman ptrotman at Pe5MU9CTS7bCj7unysX6zb3Fz-MCXuMfgDlRFmjGGKf_R3cLG4hDEuznT1IMP6gwflBeImhKvG-1ye2mrQ.yahoo.invalid
Tue Apr 22 20:29:50 BST 2008

I've no idea whether the term "bell-hanger" was used historically in
the UK but I'm grateful that you brought this up. Some years ago I
purchased from a hardware store in Connecticut a "bell-hanger's bit",
a 3/8" spade bit with a shank a little over a foot long, in order to
run some speaker cables between floors. The origin of the name never
dawned on me.

Unfortunately 3/8" isn't large enough for today's equivalent --
running Ethernet cables!

Peter Trotman.