[Bell Historians] Bell Hanger, Chepstow.

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at A_TrVDHsoHEB5Gjp6aaAZuoj94PX83LfuUdLlvhplJCRhgbhmI7tYqyjxCyz_4tRFt-XTEqVvUU-fg.yahoo.invalid
Thu Apr 24 21:05:46 BST 2008

At 21:17 +0100 08/04/22, John Ketteringham wrote in part:

>%   %   %   TRADESMEN DESCRIBED AS ÎBELLHANGERSâ   %   %   %
>
>The various Trades Directories for the nineteenth century include a
>considerable number of tradesmen who are listed as bellhangers under
>the general heading of Whitesmith, Locksmiths and Bellhangers.

In the American trade directories of the period which I have seen,
the common category is "Locksmiths & Bell Hangers".  I presume that
both tasks involve working with small cast brass parts, as well as
installation and maintenance at customers' residences or places of
business, and so a person who had expertise at one of the tasks could
readily gain expertise in the other.  This category was distinct from
"Bell & Brass Foundries" (which produced not only bronze bells but
brass castings of all types) and "Brass Finishers" (who presumably
converted raw brass castings into the polished final product).

Over here, the term "whitesmith" was much less common than
"tinsmith", and neither one seems to have been particularly
associated with "locksmiths".  The tinsmith worked more in sheet
metal than in cast metal, I believe.