[Bell Historians] Re: Diameters (was Dogmersfield)

David Bryant David.Bryant at j_Th3IUGIZO9iM1LY5w_NeMtp7pv0zwGLJsVBCVZwpTp4f1fn9hHRmm3Nof8iCfE5DfhSmkunAo88g5Czffe.yahoo.invalid
Thu Aug 7 16:38:34 BST 2008

"It used to be a cause of great ribbing between the late Christopher
Dalton & myself that we got differing diameters, he said I did not move
the clapper out of the way enough, but then he used a wooden (folding)
measure, whilst I used a steel tape. Ran Clouston even had a special
narrow steel tape for measuring shoulder circumferences. Perhaps we out
to have a national standard on these things (perhaps the CBC could
organise a seminar, and whilst we are at it how to do a rubbing
properly)."

It's easier to do it with the bell up!