[Bell Historians] Re: Diameters (was Dogmersfield)

Alan Buswell aaj.buswell at BxyxFT7J7wOHtUKgRNdR27eP5-U3aAoVEEW3oK51c-vwMkryF1eJHb_7f1ik7RiU1eSs6A3tLQv2c4LNejlLGkn4r3o.yahoo.invalid
Thu Aug 7 17:59:19 BST 2008

Surly this also applies to bell weights. Scales being able to weigh 20cwt+ nodoubt are unable to measure ounces.
So a bell could be +/- 16 ounces.
AAJB
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chris Pickford
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 2:42 PM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: Diameters (was Dogmersfield)

  We've been here before, I think, but no two people - bellfounders or what the Victorians used to term "Bell hunters" - will measure diameters exactly the same. Even people who are careful and measuring in idea circumstances may vary by up to 1/8" and sometimes more.

  While some bells are elliptical, that's not really a major reason for variations in quoted diameters. It's much more about human error, access, degree of care and (let's not forget it) the accuracy of measuring equipment - minor damage to the end of a steel tape can easily lead to an error of 1/16" or more.

  Anyway, all I'm really saying is that while accurate measurement is clearly desirable, there's a practical limit - and it's not worth getting het up about differences of 1/8" or 1/16"

  CP