16th and 17th century tuning

Richard Smith richard at zlU4eXVsuR4QIVbyGOVP3O--CcHUy-Wifu2Fr3rItIUQu35Paxt9nLQyx0C8IWtC5lArj3uueUOuMsX0EWY.yahoo.invalid
Mon Aug 11 04:47:20 BST 2008

Is anyone aware of any research into how the tuning of rings
of bells evolved during the 16th and 17th centuries?  As I
understand it, until the middle of the 16th century, the
major scale was basically unknown, and church music was
based around the eight Gregorian modes.  Is it known whether
it was typical for rings of bells to be tuned to these modes
too?  (I appreciate that rings of more than five were quite
exceptional then, and without a complete octave, some modes
are ambiguous.)

By the mid 17th century, I'm guessing that the major scale
had been largely adopted by bellfounders, but, again, how
much evidence for this?  For example, the 1681 twelve at
York Minster: was this definitely in a major key?  I would
be interested in anything further anyone knows about how and
when the transition occured.

It has occured to me -- though this is probably nothing new
to this list -- that this transition must have occured at
about the same time that change ringing suddenly took off in
the early 17th century.  Now this may be utter coincidence,
and I'm aware of other developements that may have fueled
this (notably three-quarter wheels), but I do wonder whether
this may be amongst the factors that lead to the
developement of change ringing.

Cheers,
Richard