[Bell Historians] St Michael's Gloucester

David Bryant davidbryant at yB_1L_L6s75CRVq38SpVsTn73UFllo4_jOmd6ql9wBYSqjKEkfauZySMomW9FN95lhstcTruJ8ktl9aWRSggSQFujw.yahoo.invalid
Mon Aug 11 22:16:25 BST 2008

"It once held a bell museum - does anybody know amy more about it?"

It's described briefly in Bliss & Sharpe (p. 331-3).

The bells, a ring of ten, were apparently in two separate frames with three
bells above. In photo number 11 on the BBC site an RSJ framework is clearly
visible. I would guess that this is the foundation for the upper (cast iron)
frame. The BBC describes the church demolished in 1956 as being '15th
century'. This is incorrect - the body of the church was Victorian Gothic. I
think I have a photocopy of a photo of it somewhere.

I remember asking to have a look up the tower when the base of it was the
tourist information office, but wasn't allowed. I was a teenager then, and
less persistent than I am now!

05:50