[Bell Historians] Re: W. L. Bowles on tuning church bells

Anne Willis zen16073 at isv3v69QT44n-Dog1-fNyBXM81llLowTXFZefEXJb3RnSBQ0E7KZKkFBlqD9XMG9AAkIqKjn7UM.yahoo.invalid
Tue Aug 12 11:04:58 BST 2008

>It's interesting to note how perceptions change. The bells of
>Bremhill, which I have a rather personal interest in, would certainly
>not have been considered "so well in tune that the commonest ear
>would pronounce them musical" prior to their re-tuning in 2001. I
>think Bill Hibbert's site contains recordings of them before and
>after the 2001 tuning. Still, I suppose in 1828 there wasn't really
>the chance to hear bells accurately tuned in the way that we do now.

>Mark W.

I ought to know, but I don't, but were any of the bells at Bremhill altered
after William Bowles time?

John Aubrey considered Broadchalke to be 'the most tunable' set of bells in
Wiltshire in the seventeenth century, but I suppose we will never know how
they sounded.

Anne