[Bell Historians] W. L. Bowles on tuning church bells - Bremhill

whrrr1978 mark at JH8rUTeKjvSy0MnMasO8Bc98hb8nnqIVnzKTNUVVAQhRC16vGvZ4vOK_yvg-WXx3itjS25x10QuubOlqxcnY-A.yahoo.invalid
Wed Aug 13 08:14:40 BST 2008

The canons had certainly been removed before the 2001 work although I
can also confirm this bell was uncomfortably heavy despite this! The
bells were and are on girder headstocks, modified in 2001.

Mark

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Richard Offen"
<richard.offen at ...> wrote:

> I was brought up with the sound of Bremhill bells & they sounded
fine to me
> -partially helped by a meaty 6 in a good tower. They did not sound
so fine
> to those with a better ear. The 4th was replaced in 1770 & the 2nd
in 1826.
> So Billy Bowles, whose residence was the nearest property to the
tower, left
> that legacy - the bells were not brought into tune until 2001 & the
1826 2nd
> was far too flat - forcing the other bells to be tuned down. The
tenor went
> from an actual 19.1.11 in F to 17.2.5 in E.
>

> Don't be too mislead by the change in tenor weight.   I notice from
the
> on-line Dover that Bremhill tenor  has had its canons removed.
Assuming
> this was done during the 2001 restoration, this would probably
account for
> getting on for a hundredweight of the weight loss you mention.
>

> Richard

> Checked by AVG.
11/08/2008
> 4:59 PM