[Bell Historians] W. L. Bowles on tuning church bells - Bremhill

Richard Offen richard.offen at J47Tamz3e9YeGaWmTRbSjzEe5CDznrKq3kAN0njkUkWeWs4-m6b019HtVDWBxYJUmspPoqjZS1_z7AJi2XLf3Q.yahoo.invalid
Wed Aug 13 02:22:03 BST 2008

I was brought up with the sound of Bremhill bells & they sounded fine to me
-partially helped by a meaty 6 in a good tower. They did not sound so fine
to those with a better ear. The 4th was replaced in 1770 & the 2nd in 1826.
So Billy Bowles, whose residence was the nearest property to the tower, left
that legacy - the bells were not brought into tune until 2001 & the 1826 2nd
was far too flat - forcing the other bells to be tuned down. The tenor went
from an actual 19.1.11 in F to 17.2.5 in E.

Don’t be too mislead by the change in tenor weight.   I notice from the
on-line Dover that Bremhill tenor  has had its canons removed.   Assuming
this was done during the 2001 restoration, this would probably account for
getting on for a hundredweight of the weight loss you mention.

Richard

Checked by AVG.
4:59 PM

Checked by AVG.