[Bell Historians] Fwd: St.Edward's, Leek, chiming machine

Richard Offen richard.offen at 8lzYvdy1PJY9A0N-ZDJQHzZ6yhrHL80CRG3VNXj6FMTl4tPgGl_TKqURXyfFtLr5oOkszwnZ0W1loivoJc_V6cct-6s.yahoo.invalid
Fri Aug 29 12:00:54 BST 2008

I have sent an e-mail to the good lady pointing her in the direction of
Trevor Jennings excellent book on chime barrel mechanisms and also giving
her the contact details for Smiths of Derby and Joyce of Whitechurch – these
being the nearest clock makers to Leek .

Richard

   _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Ted Steele
Sent: Friday, 29 August 2008 6:52 PM
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Fwd: St.Edward's, Leek, chiming machine

Enquiry about chiming machines.

There is a chiming machine at Darfield, South Yorkshire. I only saw it
once, earlier this year. A local ringer told me it had been restored but
it may have been with local labour and knowledge, I can't recall
exactly. My memory is of a machine with drums that are turned by a
handle. Movable pins on the drums operate wire linkage to the chiming
hammers. The whole thing is about the size of an average tower clock
mechanism. Does anyone know of this machine and whether it is of a type
similar to that at Leek? If so then it may be of value for the enquirer
to contact the local tower contact for info. on the restoration.

Ted

Checked by AVG.
6:58 PM

Checked by AVG.