[Bell Historians] GSM Cambridge

Andrew Higson andrew.higson at ONENJ3sw6tZozPeY06RuYlfsztTw68vPpR9vxlWpzTz98zaFC9Ag2pqgCUE-T4cEqgrzUeHmT4n95EkEluapmE5PWP2l.yahoo.invalid
Mon Dec 8 09:44:14 GMT 2008

I had better clarify......hoping that I'm not speaking out of turn!

The Chancellor has given verbal approval for the faculty; I don't know
if GSM have written confirmation of this yet.

If and when they get the paperwork, they have indicated that they want
TES to do the work. This will comprise of removing the existing bells,
fittings and frame, casting a new 24 cwt peal of 13 (flat 6th) with new
fittings. The old bells are being retained with the exception of the
three Taylor bells and the Dobson 11th. They are to be hung in a
separate frame in one corner of the tower and the Cambridge quarters
will continue to be struck on these bells - yes I know there are some
spares too, there are no plans as yet for making these sound.

The ringers have invested a lot of time into studying the modes of
vibration of the tower and have proposed a solution that will minimise
the tower movement to normally acceptable levels. The new bellframe will
be designed around these studies. There was a proposal to raise the
ringing room ceiling, but this was rejected because of the age of the
timbers in it; however the present false ceiling is being removed which
will increase the draught of the ringing chamber slightly.

I hope this helps

Andrew Higson

Taylors Eayre and Smith Ltd

The Bellfoundry

Freehold Street

Loughborough

LE11 1AR

Telephone: 01509 212241 Fax: 01509 263305 Registered in England No.
1352309