Grimthorpe and the Worcester bells

Bill Hibbert bill at ni2C3-pYEP0lGsySBcRq421wuIHFlcTV-KGzOjRFneFJcCuZL2qOZ1GR2svD4qqtRwderIx1tV_0.yahoo.invalid
Sat Dec 20 22:48:59 GMT 2008

Rather late with a reply to the extensive correspondence on this . . .

The simulation of the old Worcester peal on Mark Regan's CD was based
on Mirfield. I should thank Barrie Dove and the Mirfield ringers for
their welcome when I went to take recordings. As has already been
mentioned, they are almost the same date as the old Worcester peal.
My appreciation of Mirfield was dominated by their clappering and
handling. The clappers of the back bells seem to lie on the bells and
as a result they do not sing out as they should. I tried to modify
the sound of the tenor for Mark's CD but was unable to make much
difference.

I did not look inside the Mirfield bells, not check tuning records,
but I was told by the locals that one only of the bells had been
retuned (possibly the treble or the second, previously its nominal
was wildly out with the rest of the peal) and the rest are as they
left the foundry in 1869.

One striking factor of the old Worcester peal (and of St Pauls) is
the extreme stretch in the trebles. I used the nominals for the old
peal taken by Taylors in 1928, kindly supplied by David Beacham. As I
write this, I am listening to a simulation of the back eight at
Mirfield ringing Stedman slowly (3h30 peal speed). Despite the lack
of resonance in the tenors (due I suspect to the clappering) there is
a grandeur about them which is hard to appreciate in the tower due to
the difficult handling. I don't think Grimthorpe can be blamed for
stretched trebles with sharp hums; it had been the practice of
Rudhalls and the Whitechapel founders over the previous century or
more.

As an aside, someone mentioned retuning at Dunham Massey. Again, I
have not looked inside the bells nor checked the foundry records, but
I was told by Ken Lewis (who commissioned the work) that the spec
when the bells were rehung in the 70s was that no tuning should be
done. In fact, I believe the third was touched a little but the
others are as they left the foundry in 1854. Dunham of course are at
the opposite end of the scale to Grimthorpe's designs, the tenor is I
think the second lightest UK 'C' bell by about a pound.

There was a suggestion during the discussion that Taylor's appeared
to have understood true-harmonic tuning in the 1850s. It seems to me
that there is a big difference between a founder from time to time
casting bells with octave partials, on the one hand, and actually
being able to tune them to the octave, on the other. I didn't think
there was any evidence of Taylors measuring or tuning partials other
than the nominal until the 1880s.

Several people have questioned Grimthorpe's legacy. I need to re-read
Grimthorpe to remind myself what he was actually saying . . . but
it's notable that Edmund Denison Taylor (born 1864) was named after
Grimthorpe, so at least at that early date there must have been a
deal of respect for him from the Taylors. I assume it's the case that
Grimthorpe got Taylors out of the trap of casting very thin bells
such as the tenors at Dunham Massey. There's a piece of work to be
done mapping the influence of Grimthorpe onto the tuning figures of
surviving bells.

Grimthorpe's prescription of a heavy scale is still appropriate for
big bells, where the tuning of the lower partials hardly matters, and
the disposition of the upper ones matters a great deal. As I write
this I'm listening to a recording of Wells ringing Stedman Caters;
and now Petersglocke at Cologne (judging from its partials, cast to
an even thicker scale than the Wells tenors). If this is the legacy,
albeit indirectly, of Grimthorpe's ideas we are the better for it.

Bill H