[Bell Historians] Grimthorpe and the Worcester bells

David Bryant davidbryant at 50yz8Ts-A7UakJ05QHqfz8NRwgf9_31omnf05e8vt9f6px36Gz08LoyY6ug5RItmt_z5YYnQacpQG5nhgzwQdA.yahoo.invalid
Sat Dec 20 23:04:57 GMT 2008

"There was a suggestion during the discussion that Taylor's appeared
to have understood true-harmonic tuning in the 1850s. It seems to me
that there is a big difference between a founder from time to time
casting bells with octave partials, on the one hand, and actually
being able to tune them to the octave, on the other."

Indeed, but the fact that there are a number of bells of this era which are
close to true harmonic suggests that they knew what they were aiming for,
even if they couldn't always achieve it (they didn't have a tuning machine
which would go right up to the crown, apart from anything else). It would be
interesting to know whether there are other bells from the mid to late 1850s
which also have harmonics close to true.

While on the subject of the interesting bells of this era, is there any good
reason why the bells (which are unaltered and very good) and the frame
(early use of cast iron) are not listed? They form one of the most
interesting installations of their date and are, in my opinion, far more
worthy of listing than many bells which are listed.

"I assume it's the case that Grimthorpe got Taylors out of the trap of
casting very thin bells
such as the tenors at Dunham Massey."

Dunham Massey does seem to be the extreme example of this era - some others
are quite thin (Kingweston 14 in E, Baldersby 25 in C#) but not to such an
extent.

10:09