[Bell Historians] Mirfield

David Bryant davidbryant at EHZgfZ7PT8g6r7Vq-0Ons3HeYU_U_zW0ASa_Y1-ESDFzKvaGQVGYdpa_8q8kLUIQ_67D73E527Z8BxOy2hN4awBWtg.yahoo.invalid
Sat Dec 20 23:12:59 GMT 2008

"I did not look inside the Mirfield bells, not check tuning records,
but I was told by the locals that one only of the bells had been
retuned (possibly the treble or the second, previously its nominal
was wildly out with the rest of the peal) and the rest are as they
left the foundry in 1869."

According to Dennis Greenwood's book on the bells of the Wakefield Diocese,
it was the treble.

He also states that only the seven smaller bells had canons when he first
saw them (implying that the back three were flat headed), whereas Dove
states that all have canons except for the treble and 4th which have had
them removed. Perhaps somebody could clear up this anomaly?

In this discussion, I think it's worth pointing out that Mirfield are
actually not on a thicker scale than might be used now - there are plenty of
modern D bells of 30 cwt, whereas the more extreme of the Grimthorpe rings
were on scales thicker than have been used in modern times.

10:09