Christopher Dalton

Neil Skelton neil.tcct at AQJSw1_I0dba0r5jTZS5kXcvSpUGllhp4ju-gwi3hTCnvSiEnCLfRGBr1Y7TbqRtnskRFO5a2ZkAMA.yahoo.invalid
Mon Feb 4 13:24:46 GMT 2008

I have just received the sad news that Christopher died yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. He had been in a great deal of pain and discomfort for many months.

His funeral and burial will be at Ullingswick sometime next week. I understand that this will be for family and close friends only. There is to be a memorial service at Hereford Cathedral at a later date.

Christopher has left a tremendous legacy, not least in his magnum opus the Bells and Belfries of Dorset. At the time of his death he was working on the Bells and Belfries of Wiltshire and for which he made provision for its completion and publication in the event of his death.

I was glad to have played a part in securing for him the richly deserved award from the Dorset Archaeological Society last year. This was in recognition of his Dorset book and his contribution to the history bells and churches generally; also, his valuable work for the Redundant Churches Fund (now The Churches Conservation Trust). I have been privileged to have been a part of that too, not least in that we were colleagues for a number of years. Indeed, it was through Christopher that I joined the staff of the Trust.

Neil Skelton