[Bell Historians] Christopher Dalton

matthewhigby at 42ZlV0Yx7CVs6L7QtVfG-rTrEmIi879WDwtfasN6BL2JuVo4hSvYtAwUCWtUQa_bVPXYYJb4kP_puzyYCQ.yahoo.invalid matthewhigby at 42ZlV0Yx7CVs6L7QtVfG-rTrEmIi879WDwtfasN6BL2JuVo4hSvYtAwUCWtUQa_bVPXYYJb4kP_puzyYCQ.yahoo.invalid
Mon Feb 4 13:35:49 GMT 2008

Thank you for this sad news  Neil.

Very sad news indeed, an incredible man and an  immense loss to so many,
including the ringing fraternity.

Matthew

I have just received the sad news that  Christopher died yesterday (Sunday)
afternoon. He had been in a great deal of  pain and discomfort for many months.

His funeral and burial will be at Ullingswick  sometime next week. I
understand that this will be for family and close  friends only. There is to be a
memorial service at Hereford Cathedral at a  later date.

Christopher has left a tremendous legacy, not  least in his magnum opus the
Bells and Belfries of Dorset. At the time of his  death he was working on the
Bells and Belfries of Wiltshire and for which he  made provision for its
completion and publication in the event of his  death.

I was glad to have played a part in securing for  him the richly deserved
award from the Dorset Archaeological Society last  year. This was in recognition
of his Dorset book and his contribution to the  history bells and churches
generally; also, his valuable work for the  Redundant Churches Fund (now The
Churches Conservation Trust). I have been  privileged to have been a part of that
too, not least in that we were  colleagues for a number of years. Indeed, it
was through Christopher that I  joined the staff of the Trust.

Neil  Skelton

Matthew Higby & Company Ltd,
Church Bell  Engineers,
Jasmine Cottage,