[Bell Historians] More bells?

Edward W Martin edwardwmartin at dJdeNgjS7f8s_Uoq_ZfmG6rlr3V9I_kOIHFc1XKHpzH7_toQHflJOvXf2I9AkjZrY36NSo-eXxZE5rBUCBdYGw.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 14 10:05:32 GMT 2008

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Richard Offen"
<richard.offen at ...> wrote:

> Personally, whilst I find 16 bell ringing intellectually challenging
> (some would say that I find 6 bell ringing intellectually
challenging!),
> musically I don't find it particularly enjoyable.

Living in the USA for 40 years, if I wasn't struggling trying to
compose 5040s of Stedman Triples or Triples in general, I tried to
produce 'musical' stuff on higher numbers but found that I had
forgotten the sound of 12 bells. "you've got a piano" was advice that
didn't work for me, I just couldn't imagine what combinations would
sound interesting. Then there was a band of us capable of Erin
Cinques on handbells, so I cooked up an easy to call which happened
to hold the little bells together and I was very taken by the effect
of what is now termed 'little bell music'  it seemed to me that it
didn't much matter what the big bells wre doing, the fascination for
me was with this ping-ping-ping rythm...obviously something to
explore.

Now we live within distance of Guildford Cathedral whose ringers are
patient enough to put up with my getting lost in Stedman Cinques and
generally making it very obvious that if I ever was a 12 bell ringer,
that was very long ago!

To get back to 16:  I can't imagine that sound at all, and if the
friendly plain hunt coursing is the least bit deviated from, how do
you know where to look???

Not much to do with bell history in general but perhaps might serve
to illustrate how ringers' attitude to more challenging methods as
welll as numbers of bells has increased over the past 50 years

mew