[Bell Historians] More bells?

Martin Davies martindavies at jsFnOGYJo29wa05m8jtoyRx-Plib_sMk9TUL9k-NuS5Q8HTyyWRP-cS-RJ8VzmJ73JlbIgTFqMpDs-usHQ.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 14 13:58:19 GMT 2008

>>I'm sure you are right that prestige has a lot to do with
augmentations to twelve. I too am sceptical about how many twelves
have Sunday service bands that actually ring changes on twelve
regularly.<<

Hope this is still classified as Bell History.......

As we are on the brink of a 10 to 12(+1) augmentation at Ripon I
thought our reasons for doing this may be useful. Our band isn't
particulaly competent at ringing changes on 10 (we are a Plain Bob 9/
Stedman 7 type of band) but good quality call changes on 10 are the
norm on sunday. We have over 20 members, many of them youngsters or
learners. The main reasons for going ahead with our augmentation are:

1) The installation is more flexible for teaching purposes. The light
8 will make a huge difference to our band especially in progressing
from 6 bell to 8 bell ringing
2) In holiday periods we often meet with plenty of ringers but not
enough back bells ringers, again the light 8 will be very useful
3) We have the numbers and the band should be able to deliver good
quality call changes on 12 for sunday service from the outset
4) We considered an augmentation by 2 addition bells as at Grantham
or Writtle to give us the light 8 and maintain the 10 intact. We
decided 12 represented a better long term view.
5) Other changes to the installation (such as rope guides,twiddle
pins) are included in the project to make the bells easier to ring.
This will help exisiting ringers progress more rapidly and increase
retention of new ringers
6) To include ringing room refurbishment in the augmentation plans -
obvious benefits and provided an added motivation to all the ringers
to become involved and support the project
7) It was clear from the enthusiasm and pledges generated when the
project was initially discussed that the project fundraising would
come to a successful conlusion. There was a real "now or never"
mentality
8) There is no doubt that a 12 bell facility in our area will be well
used
9) The long term vision is to establish 12 bell change ringing  at
Ripon. This will never happen without an augmentation

In terms of funding the Flat 6th has paid for itself many times over.
It has allowed us to put out a considered message about "training and
retention of ringers" to the funding bodies which has produced good
results.

And I agree fully with Marks comments about new bells producing new
ringers. The past 3 years of fundraising has pulled the band together
and we have increased in numbers from 12 to over 20. Some of the new
ringers have moved to the area ,some we have taught, and one has
returned to ringing. Retention figure are much higher than before and
I am convinced this is a direct result of the augmentation plans.

Martin