Gillett & Johnston tuning figures

Bill Hibbert bill at kiBVP1BTVTAEPYtuxFqJKwo6iREgXXXmIM37gdS8V-P3kK81m_oRJOt5g6s1bYAXlU6uUCTegxMBp-_MOBk.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 21 10:03:49 GMT 2008

I am doing some more work with Alan Buswell on interpreting the
figures in the G&J tuning books. I have been looking in detail at
the Berlin Freedom bell, comparing the tuning book figures against
recordings. Alan gave some of the tuning figures for this bell in
message #12414 and Richard Offen recounted discussions with Wally
Spraget to the effect that an (unsuccessful) attempt was made to
tune the upper partials in this bell. The tuning figures confirm
this.

Several of the partial frequencies have unexplained annotations,
e.g. LW&W, LWW, CR, W.WALL and WW&W. I am guessing that these
annotations explain where the bell was struck, or the tuning fork
was placed, to stimulate the frequency in question - it's probable
that all those annotated have a node at the soundbow. It occurred to
me that CR could mean crown and LW&W / LWW could mean lower waist
and waist. I have so far been unable to interpet the others.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on this?

Thanks,

Bill H