Gillett & Johnston tuning figures

Richard Offen richard.offen at _E0_reT5Irj5OyUEWgQTCs95ZnVnmc2Eb84udJBKHSroYDnRNBZabe7vl_CenCGDXWls8KeWYhw4PXh6ooP--g.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 21 22:25:53 GMT 2008

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hibbert" <bill at ...>
wrote:

> I am doing some more work with Alan Buswell on interpreting the
> figures in the G&J tuning books. I have been looking in detail at
> the Berlin Freedom bell, comparing the tuning book figures against
> recordings. Alan gave some of the tuning figures for this bell in
> message #12414 and Richard Offen recounted discussions with Wally
> Spraget to the effect that an (unsuccessful) attempt was made to
> tune the upper partials in this bell. The tuning figures confirm
> this.
>
> Several of the partial frequencies have unexplained annotations,
> e.g. LW&W, LWW, CR, W.WALL and WW&W. I am guessing that these
> annotations explain where the bell was struck, or the tuning fork
> was placed, to stimulate the frequency in question - it's probable
> that all those annotated have a node at the soundbow. It occurred
> me that CR could mean crown and LW&W / LWW could mean lower waist
> and waist. I have so far been unable to interpet the others.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill H

Now you are testing my memory!

I seem to remember these annotations in Wally's book, but can't, at
the moment, remember what they mean.   The other person who is more
likely to have a good recollection of them is John Slater, who spent
a lot of time with Wally talking about upper partial tuning.   I
suggest, Bill, you contact him, but I'll try and get my memory banks
going when I have a moment to sit and reflect!

Richard