[Bell Historians] Metal prices

Chris Povey cmpovey at gIhsIYHxVAZex6b-Osrrp9grFMHdINAocvK7lMOxxImsn6bC_cr1c5ZNaEzFiuDx5ArfcXNKeV1Ueohw3ac6a_ltsxmBYkW7oItMFTEQdLDY.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 28 19:12:16 GMT 2008

  Andrew Higson:-

  I've just ordered some bellmetal - it has rocketed up since the beginning of the year! Purchase price is now £6560 per tonne - easily the highest price we have had to pay.

  Hmmm, that makes the metal value the average ring of 6 about £15k.

  With prices this high, it is hoped that diocesan authorities (DAC Bell Advisers?) might advise parishes of this situation, with the consequent note that their bells are therefore even more attractive to thieves and that further security measures should be taken. Bells in towers will generally be OK, except those in remote locations,  but those in bellcotes and as static exhibits inside churches will be particularly vulnerable (as we've already seen in the last 12 months). I suspect the insurers will take a dimmer and dimmer view of PCCs that have taken no sensible precautions against theft.

  I can think of one church where the listed sanctus bell is sitting on a window cill in the ground floor ringing room...

  Chris Povey