[Bell Historians] Metal prices

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at 2qLLoqj9JLNqNmaxvNVhPn9flci1lD2f3mwlcTyJxPyndiw69_t0lwUu1WiVWRNMWVTF-REmhsO6ARQfTYVLk7SY.yahoo.invalid
Fri Feb 29 18:45:13 GMT 2008

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "john" <john.ketteringham27 at ...>
wrote:

 I seem to remember someone saying how unsafe many of these single
bells are.   >

This reminds me of a tale. When I started teaching in the Dark Ages, my
aged Deputy Head Teacher was telling me about her first teaching post
in an old school in the Welsh Valleys. On the first day of school she
was told to go to ring the bell for the start of school. She had seen
the bell in the bell cote and  the 'fluffy rope' dangling in the
assembly hall.  She duly went and gave it a good tug which brought the
bell and masonry crashing through the roof. She was later shown the
hand bell that she should have used sitting on the fireplace!