Cornhill

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at ZkW51LGPi9qr7Y1AS-odrAGJZlNh9hDbpGB32pJ2M3YSmsWRJ3hnsIvtxZbkf-EgK4amSEISAND1bSldJ1N93N6E3Q.yahoo.invalid
Sat Jan 5 22:41:56 GMT 2008

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Richard Offen" <> As the matter
is still before the Chancellor of the Diocese, I would
> imagine that information is confidential at present.   Whilst it
would
> probably be of some interest to know what the objections are, who has
> made them is really none of our business!

In an ideal world I would agree with Richard's comments about the
identity of complainants not being any of our business. Unfortunately
we don't live in an ideal world. Some of us hold different opinions
from others and are perfectly entitled to do so. With regard to this
specific item, there are those in the ringing community who are well
balanced, thoughtful and responsible people. They are considered in
their views and responses and set out not to offend. We all know such
people. On the other hand there are those who command less respect, and
the identities of these people are known to us. I would rather know
that the views of the responsible and informed are being expressed to
the relevant authorities rather than the others making their
reprersentations and possibly claiming support that doesn't stand up to
scrutiny.
David says that enquiries should be made via the tower correspondent.
This also is a very laudable position to adopt. Unfortunately the 'cat
is out of the bag'. The names of objectors and the reasons for their
objections are common topics of conversation in locations where ringers
meet for ringing and social discourse. In these circumstances, fact,
inuendo and speculation tend to blend and the result is information
that has no sure foundation. Given this situation, it is my opinion,
that may differ from that of others, that it is better to clear the
air. This site is frequented by many with much knowledge of this
situation and if they consider it appropriate will make a response. If
they don't then the matter will die a natural death. So be it. We also
have a very competent and experienced moderator who can similarly end
this correspondence should he so choose.  I have no further comment to
make.  I have heard the names of four objectors mentioned but these may
be unfounded.
Finally David states that this site is not the place to air such
enquiries. Could I ask if this site is a suitable vehicle for sending
Christmas Greetings and the like? I find such actions bland and almost
meaningless, but then that is my opinion. I usually do mine using
e.cards, telephone or via snail mail.  Personal messages in such
vehicles in my opinion, far outweigh any other means.