[Bell Historians] FW: The list

David Bagley david at vk4YMCjgzFBOAFQhDhdPZddeU32zVqzUxPm-ozcFU4EGOIr9GQQ3R7C5oIP7u2Q6RIv8sbhmm8mV5wvqMLDi-UGp798.yahoo.invalid
Sat Jan 12 21:50:38 GMT 2008

From: "David Cawley"
"The bell section is a 19th century adaption of an 18th century drawing I've
seen once or twice."

I can't help identify the source, but the bell section looks very much like
an Italian drawing to me, with a pointed lip and angular soundbow. Its
inclusion with Warner, etc, drawings is rather strange.

Each of the Italian bell foundries (and there are still several, such as De
Poli, Capanni, Colbachini) has a unique (and secret) method of preparing the
strickle based upon pre-defined formulae, these being scaled for the bell
size/note needed. The strickle is cut out of wood and is first used to make
the core, then the shape of the bell is cut out to make the inner profile
for the cope. After this, the strickle is destroyed to preserve the
"uniqueness" of the bell.

David Bagley