Boston Old North Church

Edward W Martin edwardwmartin at aeRxTnqY1w-1HOSOBQ6j4sWzA9ks3tjCS60_hZYkgUEhricjSX5mTXhJEdsSj-buvedFe4MvtDHgRzJefLax.yahoo.invalid
Sun Jul 6 00:34:00 BST 2008

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Laura Dickerson <lauradi at ...>
wrote:

>     The ringers on the 1750 contract (we presume they were all
> teenagers.  Paul Revere was 15 then) were
> Paul Revere
> John Dyer (we think.  His signature is hard to read)
> Josiah Stagg
> Bartholomew Ballard
> Jonathan Law  (Lord?  Laud?  Loud?  More handwriting confusion.)
> Jonathan Brown junior
> Joseph Snelling
>
>  The list of people who owned pews at Old North during that general
time
> period include those with the surnames Ballard and Brown, but not
anyone
> with an exact name from this list - possible relatives, I'd guess,
> although maybe not, as they're common surnames.
> Revere was definitely a Freemason in his later years.  There was a
> reference in the source notes for the book "Paul Revere's Ride" by
David
> Hackett Fischer that led me to believe that one or two of the other
guys
> were as well, but the inquiry I sent to the historian at the Grand
Lodge
> in Boston has come up empty so far.   They would have been a little
old
> to be foot soldiers during the Revolution, so I haven't
> tried to search enlistment rolls or anything like that.
> Laura Dickerson

When Ann & I lived in Massachusetts (circa 1973ish)  we often spent
weekends in Boston (no bells to ring at that time) and I got a copy
of the contract & did a bit of research. Admitted that the signatures
are not clear, I made them to be in this order:

John Dyer
Paul Revere
Josiah Flagg
Barth Flagg
Jonathon Brown junior
Joseph Snelling

At the time Revere was about 15 years old but Dyer was 20 and within
a few years I believe had something to do with running  some kind of
wax works

Revere built up a strong friendship with Josiah Flagg they eventually
became close neighbours with premises on, I believe, Fish Street.
Flagg became a jeweller with his own shop. Their friendship extended
to the state that in early 65 Revere was in debt for £10 even though
Flagg owed him £200

Revere's family were not parishioners at Old North, they were
Congregationalists and attended the `Cockerill' church Perhaps none
of the other boys  families  were members of that Episcopalian parish
either.

It has been suggested that the boys were paid for ringing the bells
though, according to copy that I made, there is no mention of any
such payment It seems to me that they were allowed to ring purely for
pleasure provided that in turn, they would ring as required by the
church authorities. At any rate, the actual wording of the contract
as I have it copied reads:

"We the Subscribers Do agree To the Following articles Viz  that if
we can have the Liberty From the wardens of Doctor Cutler's church we
will attend there once a week on Evenings to ring the Bells for two
hours Each time from the date hereof to one year.
That we will choose a Moderator Every three months whose Business
shall be to give out the Changes and other Business as shall be
agreed by a Majority of Voices Present.
That None shall be admitted a Member of this Society without
Unanimous Vote of the Members then Present and that no Member Shall
begg Money of any Person for the Tower on Penalty of being excluded
the Society and that we will attend To Ring any Time when the Wardens
of the Church Aforesaid shall desire it on Penalty of Paying three
Shillings for the good of the Society. (Provided we can have the
whole Care of the Bells)
That the Members of this Society shall not Exceed Eight Persons and
all Differences To be decided by a Majority of Voices."

Eddie Martin