Boston Old North Church

Edward W Martin edwardwmartin at 7t70UZlmU_CsLk_tHOgqQRl2IYwGjoBZbOv4WcGkO01HF32jVIMSB1UaTNor7Hz5KvuUKbnn0uWqa0K90-1BAg.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jul 7 11:18:41 BST 2008

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Laura Dickerson <lauradi at ...>
wrote:

>     I've posted a scanned .jpg of the contract to the
bellhistorians
> Yahoo group page (in the photos section).  This is the URL, but I
don't
> know if it will work if you're not logged in.
> Laura Dickerson

Thanks  Laura for posting that. It certainly brought back memories
(unfortunately not enough of them ) When your picture is blown up it
doesn't really help me either. But, this is what I recall:

I would agree that the first name is Dyer (the writer started off too
close to the edge of the paper and after his quite substantial `D'
had to jam in the `yer'.)
Paul Revere signs with such confidence for a 15 year-old,
unfortunately his last two descending flourishes interfere with the
beginning of the surname of the third name. I interpreted what you
see as `St' as `Fl' primarily because of the apparent flow of those
flourishes otherwise there are two inexplicable marks either side of
what might be the `S' as well as the cross in the apparent 't'
  I think I finally decided upon `Flagg' when I  discovered the later
close relationship between P.R. and the jeweller named Josiah Flagg.
The flourish of `g' in `agg' crosses what indeed might be `Ballard'
which might also have been a young lad's second attempt
at `Bartholomew' (I can't find the ref, but believe that I discovered
Josiah Flagg had a younger brother Bartholomew).
To me the next name is totally indecipherable - I don't see
your `Jonathon'
Thank goodness  for Jon Brown jun. and for Joseph Snelling. Jon Brown
would be hard to trace for certain, but maybe Snelling
In later
life, I believe that  Revere made & sold some silverware to a Joseph
Snelling but I don't know anything of what he did for a living.

Thanks again Laura, I can only stand by what I interpreted so long
ago when my eyesight was very much sharper than it is today.

Cheers
Eddie Martin