Hanley church and bells

David & Mary Kelly keltek at VS1Sn7PYfR6N3XfMdQ_Brryap7ekh2Gn1d9BWWY1GjWdcYySXiP1M2LbM5xk79yNjfD-CyKV8_AD8ebna78f.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jul 7 07:30:00 BST 2008

The state and future of St John's church, Hanley was reported to bellhistorians during March 2007. Since then the Diocesan authorities, North Staffordshire Association, Keltek Trust and other interested parties have been looking to safeguard the future of the bells. The following email was received yesterday from Richard Grigson, Secretary of the Lichfield Diocese Redundant Churches Uses Committee:

Dave,

 Thank you for this. Your correspondent is correct, and very swift off the mark because the announcement was made only this morning.

 This is the release: http://www.lichfield.anglican.org/news&newsID=531

 Church Converts (the successful bidder) has as a partner Simon Linford (of Linford Bridgeman). Simon is a ringer himself and, I believe, has hopes for the bells which involve them being kept together and being put in good order for ringing, but not necessarily in Hanley. You will want to know that, unprompted, he pointed out the merit of a G&J 10. Obviously I was not in a position to discuss this between the time that he outlined this proposal last month and today.

 The making of a scheme still has to take place, and planning consents need to be sought. Subject to this, the scheme could be complete by Christmas 09, and I imagine that the future of the bells would be secure well before then.

 You will see that I'm copying this email to Simon Linford, since he may have details which he will wish to share with you.

 I am pleased to say that I do not think that the Keltek trust will be required to save the bells - but thank you for all your willingness to help over many months. It may yet be that the Trust might be asked for advice.

 Could you post this on the newsgroup? I think this information is all in the public domain.

 Richard

Simon Linford is planning to report to the Ringing World.

Dave, Sec. Keltek Trust