A request for help from the US ...

George Dawson george at c6jmsfy6HNRfHaNZ5LYV8tPO6QFNLU5NU89-bgoc0nc9mf4Weex1L6hiLte8wlpG3v0Zv1s3mX03Zyt_5fK4NFmpkh7N.yahoo.invalid
Sat Jul 19 21:16:46 BST 2008

'9 Taylors make a man'

Funeral chiming goes like this:

For a man:

3 blows of the heaviest bell, slight gap, 3 blows, slight gap, 3 blows.

Then Number of blows for the age of the man.

Then 3 blows, slight gap, 3 blows, slight gap, 3 blows.

For a woman:

2 blows, slight gap, 2 blows, slight gap, 2 blows.

Then Number of blows for the age of the man.

2 blows, slight gap, 2 blows, slight gap, 2 blows.

For a child

1 blow etc etc

Traditionally done by the Sexton when notified of the death of the person,
and in this was all the workers out in the village fields would know that
'Old John/Mary etc'

had died.

Theres all sorts of variants used in medieval times, but the above seemed to
be most general. If you want chapter & verse look in Church Bells of...
books.

Nowadays I still do this at Willoughby, but before a funeral whilst waiting
for the hearse to arrive.

Regards

George

PS Read Dorothy Sayers book,  The Nine Tailors.