Chiming

George Dawson george at zEGCePPrhahMUDs0Bm7vtrPDfwG3UIcvhV0bSD7A7QxY1nTGXoGkx44UC_BYo8v20h6pBoz3ySayARhkydjWx6vODvLhKKo.yahoo.invalid
Sun Jul 20 08:44:46 BST 2008

At 08:05 on 20 July 2008, George Dawson wrote:
>> '9 Taylors make a man'

>> Funeral chiming goes like this:

>> For a man:

>> 3 blows <snip>

>> For a woman:

>> 2 blows <snip>

>> Nowadays I still do this at Willoughby ...

>> Isn't this a bit anachronistic in 2008?

>> John Camp

> Well, some of us respect our heritage!

So do I.  But the heritage in question is one which reflects the fact
that women were seen as of less value than men.  Perhaps the time has
come to give them three blows instead of two, like the chaps.

Trust someone to put a modern slant on a piece of history. If you'd got 2
old people ill in the village you needed to distinguish between 'Old Fred' &
'Old  Mavis'...   Nothing more, nothing less.