[Bell Historians] Chiming

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at Wl7riQGDO4HSnG9DaHm2vh_pYvhsTwqV47eTj1qTjv6LEZHPD1XBk6G8oSPJGqHVnTDKjd4XI78n1E6q09beegEtycgtbA.yahoo.invalid
Sun Jul 20 09:58:15 BST 2008

I've never taken much of an interest in ringing traditions, but from my
limited understanding I have a feeling we're missing the point here

Surely, the tellers were rung immediately after a death - not prior to the
funeral. The tellers were a public announcement of a death - not immediate
notice of a funeral

That means that there was or is a need to distinguish between the genders,
and let people know whether it's old Fred or old Mavis who has died.

CP