Chiming

Edward W Martin edwardwmartin at lDIn66uznGhsvG3qN8NKyVZlpWWaKSaw-Jzf3g_pTvh2zx_JNdXIlp-9uv5AhiPM5OFHgHHBM5D98pYKQqM60e1H.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jul 22 13:41:01 BST 2008

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "jill.rogers96" <jill at ...>
wrote:

> Well there you go. Thanks for that kind remark. In my tower when it
> has been done, which is very rarely, it has always been with the
bell
> up for full circle ringing.  Sorry to be so stupid.  Fortunately
most
> ringers are wonderfully tolerant of learners of any age and very
> supportive when they wish to learn or when they need help.
> Jill Rogers

I think that the word 'toll' means to ring a usually large bell in a
solemn fashion. Back in the year dot, this would have involved
chiming simply because the bell frame etc was not yet ready for full
circle ringing. However, after full circle ringing has been
practical, I think that a bell can be tolled either by chiming it or
ringing it full circle.  As an example the great bell tolled one
stroke per minute as the remains of Princess Di processed to the
funeral ceremony. This bell was rung full circle & not chimed & very
impressive it was too.

The OED mentions early usage of bells as 'tellers'  being means of
communication and I feel that somewhere along the line, quite
possibly in the Elizabethan era, what had originally been known
as 'nine tellers' to signify a man, was changed by some wit to 'nine
tailors make a man' because of the then popular joke that it would
take nine tailors to equal the value of one bloke. There is a perhaps
apocryphal story that Queen Elizabeth I, receiving a deputation of
eighteen tailors, addressed them with a 'Good morning, gentlemen
both!'

Eddie Martin