[Bell Historians] chiming

John Camp camp at L4WI34iEGEB2qZCM15qKyyHlC6KMh2li0gPNaN8_JnAd9K8sfRdwvYX3bEiw6GcyxkDrcAlmGfWAmz6T.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jul 22 22:26:31 BST 2008

At 22:15 on 22 July 2008, Alan Ellis wrote:
> If, historically, the tolling/chiming for a death were 1 for a child, 2
> for a woman and 3 for a man, would there still not be discrimination?
> Women would still be central.

> Suggesting that the nine taylors is sexist is P.C. gone stark raving
> bonkers once again.

Thanks for calling me 'stark raving bonkers' Alan.

'PC' means 'it wasn't like that when I was a lad'.  I suppose that bell
historians is not the list on which to expect anything other than
19th-Century attitudes.  As Don Morrison said recently, on
ringing-theory (in an entirely different context), 'we suffer the
consequences of our own conservatism'.

My last word on the subject!  Promise.  (Unless I get really enraged.)

John Camp.